Skip to main content

Government Frequently Asked Questions: FAQs by Topic

answers to many government-related frequently asked questions

What is an Advance Directive for Health Care and where can I obtain the form?

The Advance Directive for Health Care can be used to ensure your wishes are followed if you later become incapacitated and incapable of making an informed decision regarding your health care.

The form can be accessed via

Where can I get information about government auctions?

How can I determine the status of a bill or proposed legislation?

Where can I obtain a copy of a birth or death certificate?

A Birth or Death Certificate originally issued in the State of Oklahoma can be requested in person at the Vital Records Office, James O. Goodwin Health Center, 5051 S. 129th E. Ave., Tulsa OK 74134. Office Hours: 8:30am to 4pm; Phone: (918)594-4840. Hours phones are answered: 8am - 5pm.

Or from the Oklahoma City office: Vital Records Section, State Department of Health, 1000 Northeast 10th Street, Oklahoma City, OK 73117. Each of the records cost $15 a piece. To verify current fees, the telephone number is (405)271-4040.

Are breaks and lunch periods mandatory?

According to the Oklahoma Department of Labor FAQs: Neither federal nor state law require employers to provide breaks to employees age 16 or older. Mandatory break laws only apply to children under the age of 16. Breaks and lunch periods are considered benefits and remain at the discretion of the employer.

Where can I find information about building codes in Tulsa?

The Tulsa City-County Library has historic building code ordinances in the vertical files at Central Library. Here is a list compiled from what is included in files: Building Codes

Please note: this list might not be complete. Please contact the Tulsa City Clerk or the Tulsa Permits Office for additional information.

Where can I obtain information on Oklahoma business filings?

Oklahoma Secretary of State Business Filing Department provides basic search services for free additional information can be obtained for a small fee.

What are the Child Labor Laws for the state of Oklahoma?

Can I work if I'm under 16?
No child under the age of sixteen (16) shall be permitted to work in any occupation or in any establishment other than those occupations permitted by the "Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938", as amended 29 U.S.C., Sections 201 through 219, and any regulations related thereto.

However... A parent can request a Student Work Permit for a youth under 16.
Parents of student-employees are responsible for insuring that their child has a Certificate of Age and Schooling (work permit) which is usually obtained from the student-employee's school principal.

If a child is schooled at home, the permit is obtained from the State Superintendent of Public Instruction, (405)521-3369.

For questions about working minors, please contact OK Dept. of Labor Child Labor Unit: 1(888)269-5353 or (405)521-6591.

How can I calculate the amount of child support I'll pay or receive?

Please note that many factors are taken in to account when calculating child support. The following information should be used for guideline purposes only.

Oklahoma Child Support Services has information on child support in the state of Oklahoma on their web site including a child support caluclator based on guidelines from the Oklahoma Statutes Title 43 Section 119. Additionally, the Oklahoma State Courts Network has information for computing the guidelines and a form for withholding income to pay child support.  From their home page, click on "forms" in the left frame and then "child support" in the right frame.  For more information on Tulsa County requirements and forms for divorces involving children go to the Families in Transition web site.

How do I cite government information sources in my research paper?

Where can I find City Ordinances?

Is Common Law Marriage recognized in Oklahoma?

According to Title 43 Section 4 of the Oklahoma Statutes, "No person shall enter into or contract the marriage relation, nor shall any person perform or solemnize the ceremony of any marriage in this state without a license being first issued by the judge or clerk of the district court, of some county in this state, authorizing the marriage between the persons named in such license."

However, the Cornell University Legal Information Insitute includes the following caveate: "No common-law marriage can be entered into, but these states recognize common law marriages that were entered into before these dates: Oklahoma - entered into prior to November 1, 1998 are recognized, current situation unclear."

Common law marriage is recognized in twelve jurisdictions: Alabama; Colorado; Iowa; Kansas; Montana; Oklahoma; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; Texas; Utah; and the District of Columbia.

The following three jurisdictions recognize common law marriage if it was entered into prior its abolishment. Georgia: If it was entered into before 1/1/97; Idaho: If it was entered into before 1/1/96; and Ohio if it was entered into before 10/10/91.

What is the Consumer Price Index (CPI) & current rate of inflation?

The Consumer Price Index (CPI) is a measure of the average change over time in the prices paid by urban consumers for a market basket of consumer goods and services.

The CPI is the most widely used measure of inflation and is sometimes viewed as an indicator of the effectiveness of government economic policy. It provides information about price changes in the nation's economy to government, business, labor, and other private citizens, and is used by them as a guide to making economic decisions. In addition, the President, Congress, and the Federal Reserve Board use trends in the CPI to aid in formulating fiscal and monetary policies. (from:

What are my rights as a consumer?

What is copyright & how can I get the forms to file for Copyright?

Copyright, a form of intellectual property law, protects original works of authorship including literary, dramatic, musical, and artistic works,such as poetry, novels, movies, songs, computer software, and architecture.

Coypright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed.

Registration is recommended for a number of reasons. Many people choose to register their works because they wish to have the facts of their copyright on the public record and have a certificate of registration.

Registered works may be eligible for statutory damages and attorney's fees in successful litigation.

Finally, if registration occurs within five years of publication, it is considered prima facie evidence (presumed to be true unless disproved by some evidence to the contrary) in a court of law.

Source: Black's Law Dictionary

The U.S. Copyright Office strongly encourages filing for copyright via the Electronic Copyright Office (eCO). By doing so the process is expedited and the fees are reduced.

How can I obtain a credit report for free?

According to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), Annual Credit Report is the ONLY authorized source for the free annual credit report that's yours by law. Annual Credit Report assists in obtaining your credit report from all 3 credit reporting companies. You can only get free reports once per year.The report does not include a credit score. There is a fee to obtain the score.

What are the e-mail/mail/telephone solicitation list removal addresses?

To opt-out of pre-screened credit card offers, call 1.888.567.8688. This is a free service to consumers offered by the major credit bureaus.

Follow the links below to opt out of telephone, mail and email solicitation.

How can get an Oklahoma Driver's License or state issued Identification card?

The Oklahoma Department of Public Safety provides information and answers to Frequently Asked Questions regarding Driver's Licenses and State Issued IDs and access to the Oklahoma Driver's Manuals.

Here are lists of Oklahoma Driver's License testing sites and Oklahoma Tag Agencies.

Where can I get copies of Oklahoma Driver Manuals?

A manual to study for the driver's license exam is available for in-library use at the Central Library Research Center. It is located in the vertical files under the heading "Oklahoma - Driver's Manual". A limited amount of additional copies are available at the exam stations, a list of which is available at the DPS website.

What are the duties of elected officials?

Who are my Elected Officials?

Why are elections held on the Tuesday after the first Monday in November?

For much of our history, America was a predominantly agrarian society. Law makers felt that November was the most convenient month for farmers and rural workers to be able to travel to the polls.

Since most residents of rural America had to travel a significant distance to the county seat in order to vote, Monday was not considered reasonable since many people would need to begin travel on Sunday and this would have conflicted with Church services. Hence, Tuesday was chosen.

As for the Tuesday after the first Monday, lawmakers wanted to prevent election day from falling the first of November for two reasons. First, November 1st is All Saints Day, a Holy Day of Obligation for Roman Catholics. Second, many merchants were in the habit of doing their books from the preceding month on the 1st. (adapted from:

What are the laws in Oklahoma concerning the emancipation of a minor?

Oklahoma does not have laws concerning emancipation of minors, however there are provisions that confer certain rights to minors.

See Oklahoma Statute Title 10, Sections 91-94:

Where can find wage estimates for a particular occupation?

These occupational employment and wage estimates are calculated with data collected from employers in all industry sectors.

Where can I get information about election results or upcoming elections?

How can I access Federal laws & regulations?

Where can I get information on Food Handler training and permits?

Food Handler training and manager certification is handled by the Tulsa City-County Health Department.

What are the apporpriate forms of address for elected officials?

The courtesy title "The Honorable" is used in addressing most government officials. As a rule, all holders of elected office in the U.S. on the national, state, and local levels are given this designation. For former officials, "The Honorable" is still used but without the title, eg. The Honorable James Carter. For an envelope:
  • President:
    The President, The White House, Washington, D.C. 20500
  • Mayor:
    (Eg.) The Honorable Mayor Dewey Bartlett, City Hall, 175 E. Second St., Tulsa, OK 74103
  • Governor:
    (Eg.) The Honorable Mary Fallin, The Governor of Oklahoma, State Capitol Building, Room 212, Oklahoma City, OK 73105

Where can I find information on "free money" from the government?

"Free Money" is a misnomer. The government (state & federal) provides a variety of services and benefits programs to the public. For business owners the Federal government offers low-interest loans. Below are links to explore which federal and state benefits might be available to individuals. A link to the SBA is included for small business owners. For nonprofits needing grant information, explore our Nonprofit Resource Center.

Do I need a permit to have a garage sale?

Garage Sale ordinances vary between Tulsa County communities. If your community is not included below, phone your local government for more information.

City of Bixby
Title 3, Chpater 6, Part 2 A: Permit Required; Fee: No garage or home sale may be conducted without first obtaining a valid permit to be issued by the city clerk's office for a fee in such amount as established by resolution of the city council. (Ord. 805, 12-13-1999; amd. 2006 Code)
City of Bixby Garage Sale Requirements

City of Sand Springs
Title 5, Chapter 24: It is unlawful for any person or persons to conduct more than two yard or garage sales within the city or to conduct or have conducted more than two yard or garage sales at any location not zoned for business during any one year. No garage or yard sale shall last longer than two consecutive days. No garage or yard sale shall be conducted without first securing a permit therefor from the inspections section of the city and they shall each month forward to the director of finance a list of all persons and locations of garage or yard sales for the preceding month. (Prior § 9-207)

City of Owasso
from their FAQs: Two garage sale signs are allowed per garage sale. One is allowed at the location of the sale and the second at the entrance to the neighborhood. Garage sale signs may not be attached to utility or light poles. No permit is required for garage sale signs. The maximum size allowed for garage sale signs is 4 square feet.

City of Broken Arrow
from their FAQs: An Itinerant Merchant is a merchant who either travels around selling wares, or sets up his/her tent or booth upon property that is not their primary place of business. The Itinerant Merchant license is required of anyone wanting to sell goods from a location other than their primary place of business. Examples may include flower sales, pet sales, and garage sales that are setup upon property not the vender's primary place of business.

What are the rules for running a day care in my family home if I live within the City of Tulsa?

The Tulsa City Ordinances covering Family Day Cares are Title 42 Chapter 4 Section 402.B.5. For licensing requirements visit the Oklahoma Department of Human Services.

Where can I find government forms available on the internet?

How can I find information about homeschooling in Oklahoma?

How does a bill become a law?

What is the process for filing an initiative petition or referendum?

Article 18, Sections 4(a)-4(e) of the Oklahoma Constitution reserves the right of citizens to petition municipal government for change. The Oklahoma Constitution offers a brief outline of the Initiative Petition / Referendum process. Title 11, Article 15 and Title 34 of the state statutes go into greater detail of the required process and specifics of how the signatures should be collected.

Here are the required steps in a nutshell. The steps have been amended to reflect the process at the municipal, rather than state, level ***Refer to the Oklahoma Statutes for specifics.***

  1. Draft Referendum or Initiative Petition as per Title 34 Sections 1 or 2 of the Oklahoma Statutes. A proposed ballot title is also required.
  2. File copy of referendum or initiative petition with the City Clerk.
  3. The city clerk submits the proposed initative/referendum to the city attorney for review of legal correctness. Any necessary changes for legal purposes will be made.
  4. City Clerk publishes the proposed intiative in a local newspaper for public notice and response. Any protests must be filed with the City Clerk within 10 days of publication.
  5. Petitioners must gather signatures equal to 25% of the total number of votes cast at the preceding election.
  6. File collected signatures with the City Clerk. Petition signatures will be verified.
  7. City Clerk again publishes the petition, this time certifying that all necessary signatures have be gathered and verified. Again, opponents have 10 days from publication to file any objections with the City Clerk.
  8. Finally, the petition is submitted to the Mayor and filed with the County Election Board for inclusion on the next general election ballot. Petitions requiring vote must be filed no less than 60 days before the election.

Where can I find job openings with state and federal govenment?

I've been summoned for jury duty, what does that mean?

Tile 38 of the Oklahoma Statutes covers jurors.

Specifically, Title 38, Section 18 covers who is summoned for jury duty in detail, but here it is in brief:
A list by county of resident of that county, who are eighteen (18) years of age or older, and who have a current driver license or a identification card issued by the Department of Public Safety. The list is issued by October 1 of each year and contains the name, date of birth, and mailing address of each person listed.

The Oklahoma Bar Association provides information for trial jurors.

Where can I find a list of local labor unions?

There are two places to look to find contact information for local labor unions. The first place is in the yellow pages of the Tulsa telephone book under the heading "Labor Organizations". The second place is at the U.S. Department of Labor's web site. You will be able to limit your search by type of union, state, and zip code.

Oklahoma Landlord/Tenant Act

I'm looking for legal forms?

The Tulsa City County Library Research Center has some books of reproducible form. And here are links to resources online:

Is there a Lemon Law in Oklahoma?

What is a lemon? as defined by the Oklahoma Attorney General
A new vehicle may be a lemon if there is a defect covered by the warranty which substantially impairs the use and value. However, the defect cannot be the result of abuse, neglect or unauthorized modifications or alterations.

Title 15, Chapter 22, Section 901 defines the rights of the consumer and roles of the dealers and manufacturers on the sale of a motor vehicle.

Information from the Oklahoma Attorney General:

Also have a look at the FTC's Facts for Consumers: Buying a Used Car.

What is the process to apply for a License to Carry a Handgun?

Information about the requirements and fees to obtain a license to carry a handgun is available from the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation (OSBI), though application is made through the local Sheriff's Office.

To make application for a License to Carry you will need to bring to the local Sheriff: Certificate of completion of a firearms safety course, a completed application, 2 passport photos, and fees are required. The Sheriff's Office will take 2 sets of fingerprints and a report of information deemed pertinent to an investigation of the applicant for a handgun license. The application can take up to fourteen (14) days to process.

Below are a few additional links that might be helpful:

How can I locate or apply for an Oklahoma marriage license?

Locating Marriage Records

Marriage records are held at the Oklahoma district courts. You can search court records at OSCN or at ODCR. Limit the case type to marriage and search by the bride or grooms name. Availability of records varies county by county.

Applying for a Marriage License

The following is a summary of marriage license requirements under Oklahoma law. You may view Title 43 Marriage at

Proof of Age & Identity: 
Acceptable forms of identification include current state or federal-issued identification such as driver's license, birth certificate with raised seal, current passport, etc. Persons age 18 and older are considered adults for purposes of marriage.

Age 16-17:
Consent of parent or guardian. Refer to statute for more detail. 

Age 15 & younger: 
Marriage is prohibited in this state except by court order. Refer to statute for more detail.

Persons divorced in Oklahoma may not marry anyone in this state other than their previous spouse for a period of six (6) months from the date of the decree of dissolution of marriage (divorce decree).

Residency Requirements:
There are no residency requirements, but the marriage must be performed in Oklahoma.

Waiting Period: 
No waiting period is required except for those under the age of 18. If under age 18, there is 72 hour waing period unless there is a waiver signed by the judge, parent, or guardian.

Statutory Fees: 
Fees are $50.00 payable in cash at the office of the Court Clerk. However, the fee is reduced to $5.00 if the applicants present a certificate issued by a health professional or an official representative of a religious institution, as describe by 43 O.S. 5.1 demonstrating that the applicants have completed at least 4 hours of pre-marital counseling. 

Is information available about medical professionals?

What is the definition of a Metropolitan/Micropolitan Statistical Area (MSA)?

Metropolitan and micropolitan statistical areas (metro and micro areas) are geographic entities defined by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for use by Federal statistical agencies in collecting, tabulating, and publishing Federal statistics.

A metro area contains a core urban area of 50,000 or more population, and a micro area contains an urban core of at least 10,000 (but less than 50,000) population. Each metro or micro area consists of one or more counties and includes the counties containing the core urban area, as well as any adjacent counties that have a high degree of social and economic integration (as measured by commuting to work) with the urban core.

Oklahoma has four MSAs.

  • Fort Smith AR-OK MSA - Sequoyah County OK, LeFlore County OK, Crawford County AR, Sebastian County AR, Franklin Co.
  • Lawton OK MSA - Comanche County.
  • Oklahoma City OK MSA - Logan County, Canadian County, Oklahoma County, Cleveland County, McClain County, Grady County, Lincoln County.
  • Tulsa OK MSA - Creek County, Osage County, Rogers County, Tulsa County, Wagoner County, Okmulgee County, Pawnee County.

What is the minimum wage?

How can I change my name?

Title 12, Chapter 33, Sections 1631-1637 of the Oklahoma Statutes outline the necessary steps to petition for a legal name change. 

If the name change is due to a marriage, it is not necessary to formally request a name change. The marriage license is acceptable as official proof of a name change. The license can be presented to the Social Security Office and the Oklahoma Tax Commission to change your name on your social security card and driver's license.

Search for Tulsa County Name Changes through the Tulsa County Clerk's Public Oncore Search.

My neighbor's tree is causing problems in my yard. What can I do about it?

Using state nuisance definitions several cases have been brought before Oklahoma courts to determine responsibility for damages caused by tree roots. Two cases worth looking at are Mead v. Vincent 1947 OK 295 and Higdon v. Henderson 1956 OK 296.

City of Tulsa Ordinance Title 27 Chapter 21 Section 2104 deals with destruction of trees or vegetation that is the property of another.

Where can I find laws defining nuisances?

The Oklahoma Statutes define nuisance in Title 50 Section 1 and Title 76 Section 1.

Title 24 of the City of Tulsa Ordinances defines nuisances in the city limits. For communities other than Tulsa, check the city's website or for online availability of ordinances.

Can I park my car in the yard?

Tulsa City Ordinances Title 37 Chapter 5 Section 522.R states that vehicles must be parked on a hard surface area constructed of an all-weather material.

What about parking my RV within the City of Tulsa? Rules for parking and storing recreational vehicles can be found in the Tulsa City Ordinances Title 42 Chapter 4 Section 402.B.7.

For communities other than the City of Tulsa, check for local ordinances and zoning codes.

How can I find State and Federal Parks?

How do I get a passport?

Access passport forms online and then file in person at a local passport application acceptance facility.

How do I obtain a copy of a report filed by the Tulsa Police Department?

All police reports, such as those reporting car accidents, are filed in Police Records which is the official custodian for the Tulsa Police Department. To obtain a copy of a report, you must go to the Police/Courts building in the Civic Center. Printed logs may be inspected at the public counter with no fee during regular business hours, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday, holidays excluded. Computer logs are not available for inpsection.

Mail requests to: Records Custodian, Tulsa Police Records, PO Box 1027, Tulsa, OK 74103.

What are the postal abbreviations for all the United States and United States Territories?

  • Alabama - AL; Alaska- AK; American Samoa - AS; Arizona - AZ;Arkansas - AR
  • California - CA; Colorado - CO; Connecticut - CT
  • Delaware - DE; District of Columbia - DC
  • Florida - FL
  • Georgia - GA; Guam - GU
  • Hawaii - HI
  • Idaho - ID; Illinois - IL; Indiana - IN; Iowa - IA
  • Kansas - KS; Kentucky - KY
  • Louisiana - LA
  • Maine - ME; Maryland - MD; Massachusetts - MA; Michigan - MI; Minnesota - MN; Mississippi - MS; Missouri - MO; Montana - MT
  • Nebraska - NE; Nevada - NV; New Hampshire - NH; New Jersey - NJ; New Mexico - NM; New York - NY; North Carolina - NC; North Dakota - ND; North Mariana Islands - MP
  • Ohio - OH; Oklahoma - OK; Oregon - OR
  • Palau - PW; Pennsylvania - PA; Puerto Rico - PR
  • Rhode Island - RI
  • South Carolina - SC; South Dakota - SD
  • Tennessee - TN; Texas - TX
  • Utah - UT
  • Vermont - VT; Virginia - VA; Virgin Islands - VI
  • Washington - WA; West Virginia - WV; Wisconsin - WI; Wyoming - WY

What are the current Poverty Guidelines?

There are two slightly different versions of the federal poverty measure: 

  • The poverty thresholds (The poverty thresholds are the original version of the federal poverty measure.  They are updated each year by the Census Bureau)
  • The poverty guidelines (The poverty guidelines are the other version of the federal poverty measure. They are issued each year in the Federal Register by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).  The guidelines are a simplification of the poverty thresholds for use for administrative purposes — for instance, determining financial eligibility f or certain federal programs).

2013 Poverty Guidelines for the 48 Contiguous States and the District of Columbia

Persons in
Poverty guideline
1 $11,490
2 15,510
3 19,530
4 23,550
5 27,570
6 31,590
7 36,610
8 36,630












**For families/households with more than 8 persons,
add $4,020 for each additional person.

***See Links below for Alaska & Hawaii

How do I know if my profession requires a license and, if it does, where can I obtain the appropriate license?

What are the Tulsa city, county and state sales tax rates?

City of Tulsa 3.167%
Tulsa County .85%
Oklahoma State 4.50%
Combined total 8.517%

City sales tax rates for other communities in Tulsa County are as follows:

  • Bixby 3.5%
  • Broken Arrow 3%
  • ollinsville 3.75%
  • Glenpool 4%
  • Owasso 3%
  • Sand Springs 3.5%
  • Jenks 3%
  • Skiatook 3%
  • Sperry 3%

How can I determine which school district I live in?

How can I find school rankings?

Can I build a shed or fence in my yard if I live within the City of Tulsa?

For information on obstructions in private yards see Tulsa City Ordinances Title 42 Chapter 2 Section 210.B. For communities other than Tulsa, check the city's website or for online availability of ordinances.

Access the City of Tulsa Residential Permit Guide here:

What are the laws governing Squatter's Rights (Adverse Possession) in Oklahoma?

Adverse possession laws can be found in the Oklahoma Statutes Title 12 Section 93 and Title 60 Section 333. To get a full understanding of these laws you will need to look at the case laws listed at the end of the sections. An important case in deciding the 15 year period of adverse possession before granting a title by prescription is Wilp v. Magnus, 204 Okla. 448, 230 P.2d 733 (1951).

Where can I find State laws and regulations?

What is "seasonally adjusted" data?

Seasonal adjustment is the process of estimating and removing seasonal effects from a time series in order to better reveal certain non-seasonal features. Examples of seasonal effects include a July drop in automobile production as factories retool for new models and increases in heating oil production during September in anticipation of the winter heating season.

Why is data seasonally adjust?

Seasonal movements are often large enough that they mask other characteristics of the data that are of interest to analysts of current economic trends. For example, if each month has a different seasonal tendency toward high or low values it can be difficult to detect the general direction of a time series' recent monthly movement (increase, decrease, turning point, no change, consistency with another economic indicator, etc.). Seasonal adjustment produces data in which the values of neighboring months are usually easier to compare. Many data users prefer seasonally adjusted data because they want to see those characteristics that seasonal movements tend to mask, especially changes in the direction of the series.

How do I register for the Selective Service?

Almost all male U.S. citizens, and male aliens living in the U.S., who are 18 through 25, are required to register with Selective Service. It's important to know that even though he is registered, a man will not automatically be inducted into the military.

The easiest and fastest way for a man to register is to register online. Or a man can fill out a registration form (available at the U.S. Post Office) and send it to the Selective Service System. The form asks for the young man's full name, address, date of birth, and Social Security Number (if he has one). On a form that is sent in, his signature is also required.

Please, help. I need statistics.

Statutes of Limitations for the State of Oklahoma

The following are excerpts from the Oklahoma State Statutes and are intended for informational purposes only.

Civil Action Statutes of Limitations
Oklahoma Statutes Title 12 Civil Actions Chapter 3 Limitations of Actions

from section 92 "Civil actions can only be commenced within the periods prescribed in this article, after the cause of action shall have accrued; but where, in special cases, a different limitation is prescribed by statute, the action shall be governed by such limitation."

Sections 93-95 offer specific terms of limitation for a variety of civil and real property actions

Criminal Action Statutes of Limitations
Title 22, Chapter 3, Section 151 No Limitation on Prosecution for Murder
Title 22, Chapter 3, Section 152 Limitations in General

for additional information on statutes of limitations for criminal matters refer to Oklahoma Statutes Title 22 Criminal Procedure.

What are the names of the thirteen original colonies and when did each colony ratify the Constitution?

  • Connecticut - 9 January 1788
  • Delaware - 7 December 1787
  • Georgia - 2 January 178
  • 8Maryland - 28 April 1788
  • Massachusetts - 6 February 1788
  • New Hampshire - 21 June 1788
  • New Jersey - 18 December 1787
  • New York - 26 July 1788
  • North Carolina - 21 November 1789
  • Pennsylvania - 12 December 1787
  • Rhode Island - 29 May 1790
  • South Carolina - 23 May 1788
  • Virginia - 25 June 1788

Where can I find information about traffic alerts and road closures?

The statewide road conditions hotline number is (888) 425-2385. Or explore the links below.

Where can I obtain traffic collision reports?

The records management division of the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety is responsible for all reports submitted by Oklahoma law enforcement agencies. Copies of these reports can be requested by mailing the request to:

Oklahoma Department of Public Safety
Attn: Records Management Division
P.O. Box 11415
Oklahoma City, OK 73136
Phone: (405) 425-2059

These reports cost $18.00 for a certified copy. Uncertified copies are $15.00 per report. The request should include driver's name, date of collision, and location of collision. One should also indicate if this was a fatality collision.

I'm about to go on a trip. Is there anything I need to know?

Where can I find the laws for Tribal Constitutions and Codes?

Some material are available through the Tulsa City County Library. For Tribal Constitutions, Codes, and other legal documents, go to the Native American Constitution and Law Digitization Project web site.

How can I locate unclaimed property?

How can I file my unemployment claim?

The Oklahoma Employment Security Commission handles unemployment claims. Claim applications can be made online via the Unemployment Insurance website.

Where can I get information on vital statistics (data)?

For information on obtaining Birth or Death Certificates, click here: Where to obtain birth or death certificates.

For data realted to birth and death, access information from the links below.

I need information about Workers Compensation

The Oklahoma Workers' Compensation Court website provides information for workers' compensation claims. Included on this site are necessary forms, laws & charts, and more.

To find a Workers Compensation Filing the Docketing Department of the Oklahoma Workers' Compensation Court is the agency to contact. The phone number for the Docketing Office is (405) 522-8670.