Resumes With Microsoft Word
Below are instructions for creating resumes in MS Word 2010
- Open MS Word
- Click on File
- Click on New
- Search by the keyword Resume to locate templates.
- Select a resume template by double clicking
- Information that should be changed is enclosed in brackets. Click the bracket to select the area to replace, such as [Objective]. Type your specific information, such as “I would like to secure a position in the medical field.”
- To add more than one entry of any category, such as Work Experience, highlight the bracket portion you want repeated and copy and paste it as many times as you would like before changing the information.
- Use the Print Preview to get an idea of how your resume will look when printed.
Saving Your Resume
Since you'll want to be able to make changes to your resume you'll need to save it to a flash drive before exiting.
Insert the flash drive into a USB port.
Click the Microsoft Office Button , and then click Save As.
Click My Computer.
Locate the flash drive (usually Removable Disk E:) and double-click.
In the File name box, type a name for the document.
First Step: Get an Email Address
The first thing to do before any job search is to set up an email account. Employers often ask you to email your resume or a job application. Be one step ahead and have it ready to go.
Many sites offer free email services. Simply create an account by filling out the website form.
While the registration form can be somewhat intimidating, it only needs to be completed once.
Stuck? Try using your initials, middle name, a nickname (keep it professional), numbers or symbols
Make sure you note important details like your new email address and password so you are able to check your email in the future.
Emailing Your Resume
Below are generic instructions for creating attachments.
- On your email composing screen click the paperclip image to Attach a file.
- In the window that opens, select Computer to locate the flash drive and double click.
- Click the name of the document you wish to attach, then click Open.
- The box should close and the attachment process will begin. Depending our your email company you may have to click Attach again to begin the process.
- Once the upload is completed you will be returned to the composing screen and you will see the file name or image at the bottom.
- Repeat these steps to attach more files.
- You are now ready to send your email with an attachment.