Information about the Affordable Care Act
Last Updated: Feb 10, 2015
This is what you need to enroll in and purchase insurance through the Marketplace
- An Email Address -- Don't have an email address? Click here for steps on creating an email with Google or Yahoo.
- Social Security Numbers (or document numbers for legal immigrants)
- Employer and income information for every member of your household who needs coverage (for example, from pay stubs or W-2 forms—Wage and Tax Statements)
- Policy numbers for any current health insurance plans covering members of your household
- A completed Employer Coverage Tool (see page 2 of this checklist) for every job-based plan you or someone in your household is eligible for. (You’ll need to ill out this form even for coverage you’re eligible for but don’t enroll in.)
- Get an email address. If you already have an email address, skip to step 2. If you need help getting an email address, click here.
- Gather all the necessary documents for household members needing health insurance – Social Security numbers or legal immigrant document numbers; Employer and income information (pay stubs, W-2); Policy numbers for any current health insurance plans covering members of the household; a completed Employer Coverage Tool for every member of the household.
- Sign up at Healthcare.gov – create and confirm your account at Healthcare.gov
- Apply – the application process asks questions about you and the members of your household. Be prepared to provide dates of birth, income information (including tax deductions) and any current insurance coverage data.
- Review Eligibility Results – after enrollment is complete the system will notify you of Medicaid or subsidy eligibility.
- Compare plans – based on application information, the Marketplace will offer healthcare plans with expected monthly premiums, copays and maximum out-of-pocket expenses. The system allows for side-by-side comparisons of plans.
- Enroll – decide on a plan and click Enroll.
- Pay your first month’s premium – To have your new insurance plan take effect you must pay your first month’s premium.
- Receive benefit information by mail or email.
- Start using your new health benefits.