STEP ONE: Download & Install Adobe Digital Editions
- If you have been using Adobe Digital Editions to read OverDrive eBooks, you should already have an Adobe ID and can skip to Step Three (3). If you have not been using Adobe Digital Editions, you can download and install it by clicking here.
NOTE: If you own a Sony Reader, you will need to install Sony's Reader Library software on your computer before you install Adobe Digital Editions.
STEP TWO: Authorize Computer with Adobe ID
- After Adobe Digital Editions is installed, it should open automatically (if not, double-click the desktop icon). On the menu bar, click on Help, then click Authorize Computer:
- Click on Create an Adobe ID online to visit Adobe's website and create an Adobe ID:
- On Adobe's site, click on Get an Adobe ID, then enter your full name, email address, make a password, enter your date of birth and then click on Sign Up.
- Go back to Adobe Digital Editions to enter that same email address and password and click on Authorize, then click OK.
STEP THREE: Find and Download an eBook
- Visit the Freading site to browse for an eBook.
- Find the eBook you want to read and click on the eBook's cover. Then click Login to Download.
- Enter your library card number and last name. Then click Login.
- Click Download EPUB (or Download PDF if that's the only option) to download the ebook to your computer. If prompted, choose to open the file instead of saving it (If you do choose to save the file to your computer, be sure you know the default location where downloaded files are saved).
- If you chose to open the file, Adobe Digital Editions should automatically open the eBook after it has downloaded. If you chose to save the file, navigate to the location where it is saved and double-click on it to open it with Adobe Digital Editions.
OPTIONAL: Transfer the eBook to Your eReader
- Open Adobe Digital Editions if it is not already open.
- Connect your eReader to your computer. If this is the first time you have connected these two devices, you will be asked to authorize your ereader. Follow the instructions to do so.
- Once your ereader is recognized, it will appear in the left column in Adobe Digital Editions.
- Drag the eBook from the right column and drop it "onto" your eReader in the left column to transfer the eBook to your eReader (You can also right-click on the eBook and select "Copy to Computer/Device", then select your device to transfer the eBook).
- Properly disconnect your eReader and find the eBook on your eReader. (If you're using a NOOK, the Freading eBook won't be found in the same place as your B&N eBooks but can instead be found in My Library).
NOTE: Freading eBooks can only be transferred to certain devices. For a list of compatible devices, please visit the Freading FAQ and click on "What devices work with the Freading ebook service?"
If you need more help, you can click here or on the green Ask a Question button on the right side of the screen.