The first historic Tulsa was a Creek Indian settlement on the Tallapoosa River in what is now Alabama. The name "Tulsa" (originally spelled Tulsey or Tulsee) is a shortened pronunciation of Tallasi, which is almost certainly a contraction of Tullahassee or Tallahassee, meaning "Old Town" ("Tulwa," meaning town, and "ahassee," meaning something old) in the Creek language. The name was apparently transferred from Alabama when the Creek Indians were forced to move here.
Adolphus DeLorraine Orcutt (1846-1913), an early Territory rancher and cattleman, and member of Oklahoma's first legislature, evidently suggested the name be used.
Tulsa's only shopping district in a recognized Historic District is a stretch of 15th Street between Peoria and Utica Avenues. The name can be found on the areas original plat maps dating to 1906. Known as "Cherry Street" until the early 1900's, the street was renamed to 15th Street to comply with a city ordinance. The corner of 15th and Peoria became the location for the city's first suburban traffic light, and the first major structure built on Cherry Street was the Bellview School built in 1909.
The highest point in Tulsa County is near the center of Section 21, T. 19 N., R. 10 E., where the elevation is approximately 1,024 feet above sea level. This high point is located in the western part of the county near Keystone Lake and the Red Fork area. The lowest point is near the SE Corner of Section 25, T. 17 N., R. 14 E., where the Arkansas River crosses the east county line. The elevation is approximately 560 feet above sea level.
The first "official cemetery" in Tulsa's early days was centered on what is now the intersection of Second Street and Frisco Avenue - the eastern fifth of which is on the grounds of the new BOK Center. Initially, it was the Creek Indian Cemetery (1882), and it later became known as the Second Street Cemetery and then the Tulsa Cemetery. Burials ceased by 1905 and graves were moved to Oaklawn Cemetery (Tulsa) and Woodlawn Cemetery (Sand Springs) in 1920.
In 1905, on the property of Ida Glenn about 10 miles south of Tulsa, Robert Galbreath and Frank Chesley, who opened the oil field, had a true gusher.
Westhope is located at 3704 S. Birmingham Ave. The house was built in 1919 for Richard Lloyd Jones, Wright's cousin and owner of the Tulsa Tribune newspaper.
It is located on the northwest corner of 18th & Cheyenne. The Lochapoka Creek Indians gathered at the site of the Council Oak tree for powwows and council fires after being driven from Alabama in 1836. The location has been called Tulsa's oldest known religious site and the birthplace of the city itself. For a picture, click on the web address above.
The City of Bixby dedicated this memorial September 11, 2002 in Washington Irving Park. This park is located just north of the Arkansas River bridge on Memorial. It is on the west side of Memorial just under the bridge.
The "center" is a worn concrete circle, 30 inches in diameter, in the middle of a 13-row circle of bricks eight feet in diameter. It is located at the apex of a rebuilt span of a pedestrian bridge, originally built in the 1930's.
In the 1930's the bridge was for vehicles to cross over the railroad tracks. The new bridge goes over the railroad tracks from Archer Street to First Street, west of the Union depot and immediately south of the Williams Center Tower.
When standing in the "center," one's voice can be heard by people within earshot. Adding to the mystery is a 72.5 foot sculpture by Indian artist Robert Haozous, entitled "Artificial Cloud." It has also been called "Unity".
INCOG (Indian Nation Council of Governments) has this type of information available on their website.
In Oklahoma, we have federal courts, state courts, district courts, municipal courts and tribal courts. Below are the courts located within Tulsa County.
The city of Tulsa's roots date back to 1836 when Archee Yahola, chief of the Creek Nation, picked a site underneath a large oak tree near the banks of the Arkansas River for councils and meetings. Two Creek words, Tallassee (Old Town) and Lochapokas (Place of Turtles), were used to name the settlement. In 1879, Tulsa existed on the pony mail route through Indian Territory.
Tulsa was incorporated as a city on January 18, 1898.
The Golden Driller was designed by George S. "Grecco" Hondronastas. Mr. Hondronastas was born in Greece and came to the United States in 1910. He became an American citizen in 1915.
The Golden Driller was built by Dallas Meade Constructors, Inc., of Tulsa, and installed on May 12, 1966 for the 1966 International Petroleum Exposition (IPE). It is made of fiberglass and concrete, and reinforced with structural steel. It is said to be able to withstand 200 mph winds.
Mid-Continent Supply Company donated the Golden Driller as a permanent symbol of the IPE and of Tulsa, the Oil Capital of the World (at the time).
It is 76 feet tall.
It weighs 43,500 lbs.
It wears a 48 foot belt, and size 393-DDD shoes.
It wears a size 112 hard hat.
Early in the twentieth century, an area of Tulsa called the Greenwood District became famous as an "entrepreneurial center." Due to legal segregation at the time, the Greenwood District was the area of Tulsa where blacks could conduct business. The Tulsa Race Riot caused millions of dollars in damage and this business center burned to the ground. But, by 1942, the area had been refurbished and was prosperous again.
|City of Tulsa||Tulsa MSA|
1890 - n/a
1900 - 1,390
1910 - 18,182
1920 - 72,075
1930 - 141,258
1940 - 142,157
1950 - 182,740
1960 - 261,685
1970 - 330,350
1980 - 360,919
1990 - 367,302
2000 - 393,049
2010 - 391,906
1890 - n/a
1900 - n/a
1910 - 121,141
1920 - 247,015
1930 - 340,407
1940 - 333,088
1950 - 364,173
1960 - 455,261
1970 - 527,533
1980 - 657,173
1990 - 708,954
2000 - 842,920
2010 - 937,478
Currently, there are eight active Sister Cities. Included are Beihai, China; Kaohsiung, Taiwan; San Luis Potosi, Mexico; Tiberius, Israel; Utsunomiya, Japan; Celle, Germany; Amiens, France and Zelenograd, Russia.
Source: Tulsa Global Alliance
2010 - 196.75 square miles (Census QuickFacts)
2000 - 182.6 square miles (World Almanac and Book of Facts 2011, p. 572).
1990 - 183.5 square miles (County and City Data Book, 1994).
1980 -185.6 square miles (County and City Data Book, 1983).
1970 - 175.71 square miles (City Engineers' Office).
1960 - 48.97 square miles (City Engineers' Office).
1950 - 26.7 square miles (County and City Data Book, 1956).
1940 - 21.4 square miles (County and City Data Book, 1949).
1930 - 21.60 square miles (Census of U.S. Metropolitan Statistics, 1930).
Federal government surveyor J. Gus Patton came to Tulsa on August 11, 1901 to survey Tulsa as a part of its request for incorporation. The surveying was completed on December 11, 1901, and approved by the Department of Interior on March 28, 1902.
Tulsa's street system was arranged around the Frisco Railroad in the downtown area. Patton used the tracks as the north-south dividing line and Main Street as the east-west dividing line. Streets east of Main were named for cities east of the Mississippi River and progressed alphabetically outward. Streets west of Main were named after western cities. Patton originally planned to number streets running north and south, however, the streets north of Main were instead named after influential Tulsans and other distinguished Americans. Dan Patton, the younger brother, became city engineer in 1903 and laid out additions using the points of the compass. This explains why the downtown streets are off from the rest of the city streets, and why Tulsa has an intersection of 11th Street East and 11th Street East. After development in north Tulsa expanded to Zion, it was decided to number those streets as well, but the city did name Apache before beginning the system with 26th Street North.
Reasons behind some street names: (Jeff) Archer - owner of Tulsa's first hardware store; (Tate) Brady - prominent businessman; (Samuel) Latimer - real estate developer; Haskell - Charles N. Haskell, Oklahoma's first governor; Woodrow - for President Woodrow Wilson because Wilson had already been used to recognize Tulsa's first dentist. Maybelle - First name of wife of L.J. Martin (Mayor 1910-12); Waverly Drive - Because it wavered; No influential Tulsans had the initials P, V, U, X or Z, therefore, Pine, Virgin, Ute, Xyler and Zion were used; Jasper (Colley) - local businessman; Exceptions for the alphabetical system were made for Tulsan S. R. "Buck" Lewis; and, Harvard was so named because area alumni pressed for it, and Yale supporters then got an avenue as well. Admiral Boulevard was originally Federal Boulevard so named because it was the border between the Creek and Cherokee nations, but no record has been found regarding why it was renamed Admiral. After the city expanded beyond Sheridan Road, which had been merely a country road, the city commission began a numbering system with 65th East Place. Streets named after Indian tribes are: Apache, Cheyenne, Delaware, Erie, Iroquois, Mohawk, Osage, Mingo, Peoria, Quanah, Seminole, Tecumseh, Ute.
Tulsa has several districts and individual locations on the National Register of Historic Places. These links will help to locate the sites.
The American Indian rock art (or pictographs) date back to the 1500's and is the work of the Plains Indians. This art is located on private property owned by the Sand Springs Home. Contact information for the executive offices is 15 W. 2nd, Sand Springs, OK 74063. Phone: (918)245-1391.
The City of Tulsa web site lists neighborhood associations and has limited contact information for many of them.
As of January 2012, a total of 325,710 people are registered to vote in Tulsa County.
123,640 people are registered democrats, 163.372 people are registered republicans, and 38,698 people are registered as independents.
According to an article in Action Tulsa World 9/21/67, the term was adopted by the Tulsa Daily World circulation department in 1922 and referred to the 32-county circulation area of the newspaper. Many local businesses and organizations picked up on the phrase and it seems to have stuck, at least for a while.
Economic forecaster Roger Babson included the Magic Empire in his 1927 report on the "Magic Circle," which was an area of southeastern Kansas, southwestern Missouri, northeastern Oklahoma, and northwestern Arkansas that he described as the safest area (in time of war) in the world. This, of course, was well before the invention of intercontinental ballistic missiles.