Skip to main content

Local History in the Research Center : Historic Markers and Monuments

HISTORIC MARKERS AND MONUMENTS IN TULSA COUNTY: IMAGES AND COORDINATES

booker t. washington historic marker

Booker T. Washington High School
Location
Tulsa: On the Oklahoma State University-Tulsa campus, south of Administrative Hall
36˚9'50 N 95˚59'18 W
Inscription
Booker T. Washington High School Tulsa, OK 1913-1950
Constructed on this site in 1913, Booker T. Washington served as the separate school for Black students in Tulsa. The first building was a four-room wooden frame structure. A sixteen-room brick facility with a basement replaced the original building in 1919. BTW High School was one of the few structures to survive the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921. The American Red Cross administered disaster relief from the school, which served as a safe haven for the victims of the riot. Under the leadership of principal Ellis Walker Woods (1913-1948), the school flourished. BTW High School has produced a significant number of scholars and citizens, who have made contributions to the state, the nation and the world. The North Central Association accredited the school in 1925-1926. BTW High School moved to its current location, 1631 East Woodrow Place, in 1950. The quest for educational excellence,  enlightenment, and advancement continues on this historic site, now OSU-Tulsa.

Creek Council Oak  
Location
Tulsa: West 18th Street and
South Cheyenne Avenue
36°8'10 N 95°59'24 W 
Inscription
Council Oak Tree
Creek Indians 1826
Tulsa Chapter N.S.D.A.R.
 
Note: Historians provide a later date for Creek arrival. See Tulsa timeline tab.
 

 
oil capital of the world historic marker
 
Tulsa Oil Capital of the World
Location
Tulsa: Civic Center (Oakley) Plaza
36°8'58 N 95°59'41 W
Inscription
Tulsa Oil Capital of the World
Tulsa has long been known as the oil capital of the world and the city that oil built. 
The rise of Tulsa to a place of preeminence in the petroleum industry began on June 25, 1901, when a well was brought in at Red Fork across the Arkansas River to the southwest. Tulsa leaders caused a bridge to be built between the two points and national publicity focused attention on Tulsa as a center of a new oil region. 
When a major oil strike took place at the nearby Glenn Pool, on November 22, 1905, the production of oil in the area became so great that the term "Oil Capital of the World" was universally applied to Tulsa. Other fields were discovered and developed in the adjacent areas to a point where, for a time, it was the largest oil producing center on Earth. Tulsa remained in the forefront of exploration and development, financing, equipment manufacturing, and provided skills and executive direction for a growing, worldwide industry-hence continued to hold the title: Oil Capital of the World. 
Oklahoma Historical Society 1969
 

 
international petroleum exhibition historic marker
 
International Petroleum Exhibition
Location
Tulsa: north of 21st Street between Yale and Harvard on the Tulsa Fair Grounds, main south entrance of Quiktrip Center (exposition center)
36°8'1N 95°55'52 W
Inscription
The International Petroleum Exposition was founded at Tulsa, Oklahoma in 1923 providing a display to the world of the latest in equipment, operational ideas and practices used in the petroleum and related industries. 
When the first exposition was held it was a street bazaar type of show with equipment displays valued at $100,000. By the time of the sixteenth exhibition in 1971, it had grown to include more than five hundred fo the world's leading manufacturers, services, and supply companies. The exhibits were valued at more than one billion dollars. 
The International Petroleum Exposition introduced many innovations in equipment such as the steel derrick and fostered foreign trade by promoting exports of oil equipment, thus influencing countries in developing their own petroleum resources. 
L.B. Jackson, an independent oilman, was the first president of the exposition, the second was W.G. Skelly, founder of Skelly Oil Company who presided over the International Petroleum Exposition for thirty-two years. W.K. Warren, founder of Warren Petroleum Corporation served as president for ten years. 
Others who have served as president of the expostion are R.L. Kidd one time chairman of Cities Service Oil Company and Randolph Yost president of Amoco Production Company.
Oklahoma Historical Society 1971
with Oklahoma Petroleum Council 
 
 
Old City Hall
Location
Tulsa: southwest corner of 4th and Cincinnati
36°9'10 N 95°59'18 W
Inscription
Erected 1917
Vacated 1969
Restored 1973 
Coleman, Ervin, & Assoc., Inc. and Nichols & Wolfe, Inc.
Dedicated to the Preservation of Historic Landmarks and the Beautification of Downtown

battle of round mountain historic marker 

Battle of Round Mountain
Location
Mannford: southeast corner of OK-51 and Tower Road 
36°7'48 N 96°17'13 W
Inscription
This first battle of the Civil War in Indian Territory began 6 miles south, Nov. 19, 1861, when Col. D.H. Cooper's Confederate vanguard was repulsed by Little Captain's warriors from Opothleyahola's Indian allies moving to north of the Arkansas River to avoid war.
 
Oklahoma Historical Society
173-199

 
battle of chustoh-talash historic marker
 
Battle of Chusto-Talasah 
Location
Sperry: south of 98th Street North between West Detroit Street and North Peoria Avenue (OK-11)
36°17'46 N 95°58'29 W
Inscription
This battle site is 9 miles, NE, SE, at the "Caving Banks" bend on Bird Creek. Here- Dec. 9, 1861-Opothleyahola's Union Indians forced the retreat of Col. D.H. Cooper's Confederate troops. Marker sponsored by the Tulsa County Historical Society. 
 
Oklahoma Historical Society
171-199

 
oakley plaza marker
 
Oakley Plaza 
Location
Tulsa: Civic Center (Oakley) Plaza
36°8'59 N 95°59'37 W
Inscription
To honor Floyd H. Oakley
for his years of service to the citizens of Tulsa Couny as
County Engineer 1969-1974
County Commissioner 1975-1976
This area is designated
THE OAKLEY PLAZA
Every man's work, whether it be literature or music or pictures or architecture or anything else is always a portrait of himself."
 
By resolution of the Board of County Commissioners
Terry Young 
Lewis Harris Chairman
Melvin C. Rice
October 1980

tulsa county courthouse 
 
Tulsa County Courthouse 
Location 
Tulsa: 6th and Boulder
36°9'1 N 95°59'26 W
Inscription
On this site stood the original Tulsa County Courthouse
Erected 1910
Demolished 1960 
Elevation Above Sea Level  
731.21 Feet
 

indian memorial historic marker
 
Indian Memorial 
Location
Tulsa: Entrance of Owen Park on West Edison Street
36°9'40 N 96°0'12 W
Inscription
682 feet east of this marker the territories of the Cherokee Creek Osage tribes of Indians join in a common boundary point
On June 2, 1825, the Osage Nation, under treaty with the U.S. granted certain lands to the government for the use and benefit of the Cherokee and Creek tribes who were being removed from the southern states. This monument is to commemorate that treaty and mark that spot where lands of the three great nations joined. 
 
Erected by the Tulsa Chapter 
Daughters of the American Revolution
1935

hillside mission
 
Hillside Mission 
Location
Skiatook: located off of OK-11
36°25'23 N 95°59'9W
Inscription
Established by Rev. John Murdock under auspices of Friends Society 1882. This noted school was attended by both Indian and white children. In this vicinity was home of Wm. C. Rogers, last elected Principal Chief of Cherokee Nation 1903-1917. His grave and that of George Tyner, Cherokee, are in Mission Cemetery. 
Oklahoma Historical Society
175-1995
 

HISTORIC MARKERS IN TULSA COUNTY

First Gas Processing Plant West of the Mississippi
Located east side of US-75, 300 feet south of 141st Street in Tulsa

First Hospital Tulsa County
Located on West Eleventh Street, between Jackson and Lawton streets in Tulsa

Fort Arbuckle
Located on SH 51, four miles west of railroad sign for Wekiwa, near point where section line road turns north-site of old fort in section two, township nineteen, range ten east

Glenn Pool World's Great Oil Pool
Located at the town of Glenpool, Tulsa County on the east side of US-75 at junction with SH-67

Holmes Peak
Located Keystone Expressway (U.S. 64) at the intersection of 45th West Avenue in Tulsa

Mt. Zion Baptist Church
Located 419 N. Elgin Avenue in Tulsa

Pleasant Porter
Located on US-64, at village of Leonard, about nine miles east of Bixby, Tulsa County

Tulsa's First Oil Well
Located on 66 at the north side of Red Fork

Washington Irving's Camp
Located at West Easton Avenue and North Vancouver Street in Tulsa

TULSA ASSOCIATION OF PIONEERS

tulsa pioneer association monument

 

Tulsa Association of Pioneers
Location
Tulsa: Entrance of Owen Park on West Edison Street
36°9'39 N, 96°0'12 W
Front Inscription
Monument erected 1935 by Tulsa Association of Pioneers
Organized Sep. 21, 1921
Membership 1935-1964
Dr. Sam G. Kennedy 1st Pres
J.M. Hall 2nd Pres
Lon R. Stansberry 3rd Pres
J.M. Hall 4th Pres
Harry Campell 5th Pres
Col. Lynch 6th Pres
Dr. C.W. Kerr 7th Pres
Lee Clinton 8th Pres
Vern N. Vandever 9th Pres
Floyd Shurtleff 10th Pres
Mary E. Seaman 11th Pres
L.C. Clark 12th Pres
Earl Sneed 13th Pres
Edna Ruggles Marrs 14th Pres
John N. Day 16th Pres
F. Lee Kennedy 17th Pres
Arthur R. Perryman 17th Pres
Dr. W. Albert Cook 18th Pres
Harry H.S. Halley 19th Pres
Ella K. Ford 20th Pres
A.X. Boswell 21st Pres
Al R. Robertson 22nd Pres
A.F. Cottle 23rd Pres
P.R. Colle 24th Pres
James A. Kennedy 25th Pres
Wm S. Bailey Jr. 26th Pres
Walton Clinton 27th Pres
Floyd M. Wilder 28th Pres
J.D. Hooker 29th Pres
C.V. Shurtleff 30th Pres
D.E. Bill Martin 31st Pres
C.W. Winterring Sr. 32nd Pres
W.E. Dode McIntosh 33rd Pres
Jack A. Porter 34th Pres
Geo. F. Martin 35th Pres
Phillip J. Kramer 36th Pres
Ruth Zoller Sager 37th Pres
>Horizontal Marker
Rex Evans 38th Pres
Dale Carter 39th Pres
Charles McGuire 40th Pres
Thelma Kennedy 41st Pres
George Wilder 42nd Pres
George Norvell 43rd Pres
A.D. Ike Holmes 44th Pres
Frank Galbreath 45th Pres
Cecil L. Hunt 46th Pres
Russell Gideon 47th Pres
Yvonne Litchfield 48th Pres
Minnie Kennedy Manion
49th Pres
Sam G. Kennedy 50th Pres
Ann Kennedy Winslow
51st Pres
George Norvell 52nd Pres
Haskell Brady 53rd Pres
Haskell Brady 54th Pres
Juanita Godwin Vigilia
55th Pres
Carole Conaway Grammer
56th Pres
Colonel Joe Kennedy
57th Pres
Prier Lee Price III 58th Pres
Ruth S. Avery-Parker
59th Pres
Eugene Paul McGraw
60th Pres
Beryl D. Ford
61st 62nd 63rd Pres
Back Inscription
Memorial
This stone marks the ground where "Old Timers" who had lived in Tulsa and vicinity over thirty years met on Sep. 21st, 1921 at a barbeque given by Dr. Sam G. Kennedy and Dr. Jim Kennedy. They all visited with old friends, reminisced and organized the Tulsa Association of Pioneers to commemorate and perpetuate the memory of those sturdy pioneers who by their sacrifice and effort helped to build a great empire. 
Inscription by J.M. Hall who came to Tulsa 1882.